The RN4020 is a fully-certified, Bluetooth® Version 4.1 low energy module. The small form factor surface mount module has the complete Bluetooth stack on-board and is controlled via simple ASCII commands over the UART interface. The RN4020 also includes all Bluetooth SIG profiles, as well as MLDP (Microchip Low-energy Data Profile) for custom data. The scripting feature can be used to enable standalone operation without a host MCU or Processor. The RN4020 can be remote controlled by another module over a secure connection and can be updated via the UART interface or over-the-air.
The RN4020 has a built-in high performance PCB antenna optimally tuned for long range, typically over 100 meters. Its compact size enables ease of integration in size-constrained applications. The RN4020 can be used with any low cost microcontroller for intelligent Bluetooth Low Energy applications. Additional features include:
- Fully-certified Bluetooth® version 4.1 module
- On-board embedded Bluetooth low energy stack
- Simple ASCII command interface over UART
- Multiple IOs for control and status
- Secure AES128 encryption
- GAP, GATT, SM, L2CAP and integrated public profiles
- Create custom services using command API
- Data streaming with Microchip's Low Energy Data Profile (MLDP)
- Scripting for standalone module operation with analog and digital data collection
- 7 dBm transit power for 100 meter+ range
- Field-upgradeable via the UART interface or over-the-air
- Software configurable role as peripheral or central, client or server
- Compact form factor 11.5 x 19.5 x 2.5 mm
- Low power modes
- UART interface, GPIO, ADC
- 64KB internal serial flash
- Castellated SMT pads for easy and reliable PCB mounting
- Environmentally friendly, RoHS compliant
- Certifications: FCC, IC, CE, QDID
The picture below illustrates the basic interface between PIC microcontroller and the RN4020 module. The minimum interface consists of UART TX/RX and WAKE_HW/WAKE_SW lines. This enables the microcontroller to communicate with the RN4020 module using ASCII command API. The command API can be found in section 6.0 of the RN4020 Bluetooth® Low Energy Module Data Sheet.
If the RN4020 is operated in a hostless mode (without a microcontroller), set the UART_RX pin to high via a 10K resistor to reduce power consumption in Deep Sleep mode.
Please visit the RN4020 MCU Interface wiki page for a detailed description of the MCU interface.
The RN4020 firmware supports the following built-in public services which are enabled and serviced via Command API. In addition, this module also gives you the ability to create your own private services.
- Device Information
- Heart Rate
- Health Thermometer
- Blood Pressure
- Running Speed Cadence
- Cycling Speed Cadence
- Current Time
- Next DST Change
- Reference Time Update
- Link Loss
- Immediate Alert
- TX Power
- Alert Notification
- Phone Alert Status
- Scan Parameters
For the latest list of services refer to the firmware version on the RN4020 web page.
The following core documentation is required to work with the module:
- RN4020 Bluetooth® Low Energy Module Command Reference User's Guide
- RN4020 Bluetooth Low Energy Module Data Sheet
Application Notes and various demos can be found at the product's home page at www.microchip.com/rn4020.
Module Firmware Revisions
For the latest firmware details and corresponding part numbers, please visit: www.microchip.com/wirelessfirmware