The MPLAB® X IDE includes a powerful discrete-event simulator for:
- PIC® Microcontroller (MCU) Families
- dsPIC® Digital Signal Controller (DSC) Families
The simulator is integrated into MPLAB X IDE (integrated development environment). The simulator debugging tool is designed to model the operation of Microchip Technology's MCU and DSC devices to assist in debugging software for these devices.
MPLAB X Simulator allows you to:
- Modify object code and immediately re-execute it
- Inject external stimuli to the simulated processor - stimulus is the simulation of hardware signals
- Set pin and register values at pre-specified intervals
- Trace the execution of the object code
- Code coverage to detect “dead” code areas
- Extract data for validation
Not all simulator features are supported. See the MPLAB X IDE Release Notes for more on supported and unsupported features.