Step 1.1: Verify MPLAB® Code Configurator (MCC) Plugin is Installed in MPLAB X IDE
Verify that MCC is installed.
• Launch MPLAB X IDE from the Microsoft® Windows® Start menu. Close any projects and files that are currently open.
• Go to Tools > Embedded.
• You will see MPLAB Code Configurator v5 in the menu.
If you don't see it in the menu, install MCC.
- When you launch MCC for the first time, it displays a prompt asking for the mode in which you would like to use MCC.
- Standalone mode (as a separate window)
- Native mode (as an embedded window in MPLAB X IDE)
- Standalone mode is the default mode.
- MCC will launch in the operating mode selected the first time, every time you launch MCC.
For this lab, MCC is configured to operate in Standalone mode.
Step 1.2: Create MPLAB Harmony v3 Project Using MPLAB X IDE
Select File > New Project from the main IDE menu.
In the Framework Path edit box, browse to the folder you downloaded the framework, then click Next.
For more information on the framework downloader, see the "Download MPLAB Harmony Framework" section of the "MPLAB Code Configurator Overview" page.
In the Project Settings window, apply the following settings:
- Location: Indicates the path to the root folder of the new project. All project files will be placed inside this folder. The project location can be any valid path, for example, <Your_folder>\dev\saml21_low_power.
- Folder: Indicates the name of the MPLABX .X folder. Enter "sam_l21_xpro" to create a sam_l21_xpro.X folder.
- Name: Indicates the name of the project that will be shown in the MPLAB X IDE. Enter "low_power_sam_l21_xpro" to set the project's name.
Note: The Path box is read-only. It will update as you make changes to the entries.
- Click Next to proceed to Configuration Settings.
Note: Clicking on the Show Visual Help button will open a Help window providing a detailed description of the various fields in the Project Settings window.
Follow the steps below to set the project’s Configuration Settings.
- Name: Enter the configuration name as "sam_l21_xpro".
- Target Device: Select ATSAML21J18B as the target device.
Note: You can select the Device Family or enter a partial device name to filter the list in Target Device to make it easier to locate the desired device.
- After selecting the target device, click Finish to launch MCC.
Note: The New Project Wizard opens a Configuration Settings window to allow you to review the packages that will be used by the current project.
Before proceeding, set up the compiler toolchain. Click on the Projects tab on the top left pane in MPLAB X IDE. Right click on the project name low_power_sam_l21_xpro and go to Properties.
Make sure that XC32 (v4.30) is selected as the Compiler Toolchain for XC32. Click on Apply and then click on OK.
Step 1.3: Configure Clock Settings