Step 1.1: Install the MPLAB® Code Configurator (MCC) Plug-in in the MPLAB X IDE
Verify that MCC is installed.
• Launch MPLAB X IDE from the Windows® Start Menu. Close any projects and files that are currently open.
• Go to Tools > Embedded .
• You will see MPLAB Code Configurator v5 in the menu.
If you don't see it in the menu, install MCC.
Step 1.2: Create MPLAB Harmony v3 Project using MPLAB X IDE
Select File > New Project from the main IDE menu.
Note: Close all existing opened projects before you start creating a new project.
In the Categories pane of the Microchip Embedded dialog, select 32-bit MCC Harmony Project. In the Project pane, then click Next.
In the Framework Path edit box, browse to the folder you downloaded the framework to. If you haven't done this, or want to download it to a different folder, click the Launch Framework Downloader button, then click Next.
Note: For more information on the framework downloader, see the "Download MPLAB Harmony Framework" section of the "MPLAB Code Configurator Overview" page.
In the Project Settings window, apply the following settings:
- Location: Indicates the path to the root folder of the new project. All project files will be placed inside this folder. The project location can be any valid path, for example: C:\microchip\harmony\v3\training\dev.
- Folder: Indicates the name of the MPLABX.X folder. Enter “sam_c21n_xpro” to create a sam_c21n_xpro.X folder.
Note: This must be a valid directory name for your operating system.
- Name: Enter the project’s logical name as “getting_started_sam_c21n_xpro”. This is the name that will be shown within the MPLAB X IDE.
Note: The Path box is read-only. It will update as you make changes to the other entries.
- Click Next to proceed to Configuration Settings.
Note: Clicking on the Show Visual Help button will open a help window providing a detailed description of the various fields in the Project Settings window.
Follow the steps below to set the project’s Configuration Settings.
- Name: Enter the configuration name as “sam_c21n_xpro”.
- Target Device: Select ATSAMC21N18A as the target device.
Note: You can select the Device Family or enter a partial device name to filter the list in Target Device in order to make it easier to locate the desired device.
- After selecting the target device, click Finish to launch MCC.
Note: The New Project Wizard opens an MCC content Manager Window to allow you to review the packages that will be used by the current project.
Before proceeding, set up the compiler toolchain. Click on the Projects tab on the top left pane. Right click on the project name getting_started_sam_c21n_xpro and click on properties.
Make sure that XC32 (v4.30) is selected as the Compiler Toolchain for XC32. Select Simulator For Hardware Toolchain. Click Apply and then click OK.
Tool Tip: If you closed MCC accidentally, and would like to open it again, go to Tools > Embedded > MPLAB Code Configurator.